46E CONGRÈS INTERNATIONAL D’HISTOIRE DE LA PHARMACIE
4 - 7 septembre 2024

The International Society for the History of Pharmacy (ISHP) 

The International Society for the History of Pharmacy (ISHP) promotes science, mainly research, teaching and publications in the field of pharmaceutical history. The ISHP was founded 1926, and is established to form an international centre for handling all matters of a pharmaceutical historical nature without commercial interests. Today, ISHP is the head organization of 29 national societies for the history of pharmacy. It endeavours to reach its goal by promoting research in writing and teaching the history of pharmacy as well as disseminating knowledge and obtaining recognition for this discipline. Its institutions serve this purpose.

A main focus of society’s work lies in organising an International Congress every two years. Next congress will take place in Belgrade, Serbia and will be followed by a congress in Austria in 2026. These congresses will continue to be an open platform for research presentations and also discussions about history of pharmacy in a truly international context. Additionally, internationally based research projects may be initiated and supported.

 In the area of publications, the ISHP supports the Pharmaceutical Historian an international journal for the history of pharmacy published by the British Society for the History of Pharmacy on behalf of the ISHP. To promote research ISHP offers a grant for research projects in pharmaceutical history with a truly international focus. The grant is primarily, but not exclusively, intended for academic projects.

For more information click here
International Society for the History of Pharmacy (histpharm.org)

Section for the History of Pharmacy at the Pharmaceutical Association of Serbia

The Section for the History of Pharmacy at the Pharmaceutical Association of Serbia is one of the first established sections of the society. It commenced its activities by the decision of the annual Assembly of the Pharmaceutical Association of Serbia held on the 16th and 17th of December 1950 in Belgrade. Throughout its fruitful multi-year activity, the members of the Section have strived to make pharmacy recognized on the “research” and historical map of health-cultural development, both in the academic environment in Serbia and globally. Since it was  established, the members of the Section have successfully and closely collaborated with historians of medicine, veterinary medicine, medical biochemistry, and dental medicine in our country. Some of the most distinguished members are still active, or were active in various professional associations, such as the Section for the History of Medicine of the Serbian Medical Society, the Society of Medical Biochemists of Serbia, the Section for the History of Medicine and Pharmacy of the Serbian Medical Society, the Yugoslav Society for the History of Medicine, Pharmacy and Veterinary Medicine, as well as the Romanian Society for the History of Pharmacy. Some members of the Section are also active in museology, and through efforts in recent years, the long-standing desire to preserve the largest pharmaceutical-historical collection in Serbia, created in 1952 at the Faculty of Pharmacy, was realized by activating the Museum of the History of Pharmacy within the Faculty of Pharmacy at the University of Belgrade.

 

Since 2003, the Section has been a regular member of the International Society for the History of Pharmacy, initiated and actively supported by Prof. Dragan Stupar, honorary president of the Section, and Prof. Dr. Dušanka Krajnović, then-general secretary of the Section. The members presented their works or statements at all congresses of the International Pharmaceutical Federation FIP (1995-2004; 2008-2019) and the International Society for the History of Pharmacy (2001-2022). Today’s results of the members of the Section are grounded in the good school developed by their predecessors, eminent experts such as Dr. Sc. Andrija Mirković, Dr. Sc. ph. Vojislav Marjanović, academician Jovan Tucakov, Mr. ph. Ljubiša Arsenović, Mr. ph. Andrija Delini, Prof. Dr. Dragan Stupar. In their publications about the founders and other deserving members of the Section, the members of the Section published articles analyzing the work and life of these exceptional contributors. The mission of the Section is to continue gathering all the colleagues and healthcare professionals, especially students and young pharmacists from all fields of practice, interested in exploring historical aspects or preserving from oblivion a part of the past related to pharmaceutical practice and profession.

 

Prof. Dr. Sc. Dušanka Krajnović,

President of the Section for the History of Pharmacy of the Pharmaceutical Association of Serbia

University of Belgrade – Faculty of Pharmacy

The Faculty of Medicine of the University of Belgrade founded the Department of Pharmacy on October 24th 1939, which grew into an independed higher education institution on October 19th 1945. In September 1991, the Faculty of Pharmacy moved to its own building located at 450 Vojvode Stepe. Its mission is to educate and train experts competent for all the aspects of medicines and work in clinical laboratories, as well as for providing services in all the fields of pharmaceutical practice, all with the common goal of improving the health system.

The Faculty of Pharmacy has been a member of the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP), as well as a member of the European Association of Faculties of Pharmacy (EAFP) since 2002.

In addition to integrated academic studies, through two study programmes, the Master of Pharmacy and the Master of Pharmacy – Medical Biochemistry, the Faculty of Pharmacy also offers bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral and specialist academic studies, a specialization for health workers and health associates, and Short study programmes.

In addition to its main activity as a higher education institution, the Faculty of Pharmacy also performs numerous other activities such as scientific, healthcare, professional, publishing and librarian activities, and the Museum of the History of Pharmacy, located within the Faculty, which is registered as an official museum of the City of Belgrade.

There are 19 Departments at the Faculty of Pharmacy: Department of Analytical Chemistry, Department of Drug Analysis, Department of Botany, Department of Bromatology, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology and Cosmetology, Department of Pharmacognosy, Department of Pharmacokinetics and Clinical Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacology, Department of Physical Chemistry and Instrumental Methods, Department of Physics and Mathematics, Department of Physiology, Department of Medical Biochemistry, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Department of General and Inorganic Chemistry, Department of Organic Chemistry, Department of Social Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Legislation, and Department of Toxicology „Akademik Danilo Soldatović“.

Scientific research of teachers and associates of the Faculty is performed through the fundamental, applied and developmental research programmes on the topics generally defined through the plans and programmes for projects funded by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Serbia, as well as through the programmes of international scientific cooperation.
In order to improve the knowledge and skills of pharmacists, the Faculty organises and supports research projects and collaborates with the scientific public both in the country and abroad.

The Faculty of Pharmacy established numerous centers such as Center for Biological Research, Center for Experimental and Applied Physiology, Center for Industrial Pharmacy, Center for Continuing Education, Center for Cosmetology and Dermopharmacy, Center for Laboratory Medicine, Center for Interlaboratory Comparison, Center for Development of Pharmaceutical and Biochemical Practice, Center for Toxicological Risk Assessment, Center for Dietary Supplements and Food for Special Population Groups and Center for Technology Transfer, all of which successfully organize courses and seminars in their respective fields, in order to support the development of helathcare and pharmaceutical sciences.